DeGraaf Interiors History
DeGraaf Interiors (DGI) began as a flooring store in May, 1993. It was started by Daryll DeGraaf, the father of its two current owners – Deb and Dean DeGraaf. From 1993 until 2018, the business has expanded from one employee to over 35. Here is our story:
- May 1993 – Deb and Dean’s father, Daryll DeGraaf, started DeGraaf Interiors after working in the floor covering business for 15 years. DGI operated in a retail space shared with another flooring store on Port Sheldon Road in Jenison. DGI concentrated on the retail and builder trade while the other business concentrated on the commercial and apartment market.
- March 1995 – Hired first employee on a part-time bases
- November 1995 – Both stores moved operations into a new building nearby
- February 2003
- Broke ties with the other flooring store and moved DGI’s business to our current Hudsonville showroom location at 6450 28th Avenue in Hudsonville.
- This same month, DGI also purchased the assets of Kemp Floor Covering located on Plainfield Ave in Grand Rapids. Hired all of Kemp’s employees because of their valuable flooring experience.
- Later in 2003 – relocated the former Kemp store to a brand new facility just down the road on Plainfield Ave.
- 2007 – Daryll DeGraaf retired. At that time, Deb and Dean purchased the business.
- 2010 – Opened the Cascade Interiors and Flooring store at 1144 East Paris Ave in Grand Rapids. The location brought DGI closer to additional retail markets and offered an upscale showroom.
- 2014 – Opened a corporate office in Jenison, including a warehouse facility and a parking area to store delivery trucks. The corporate office, essential for running the business in an office setting, also added storage space to ensure DGI’s readiness with interior and flooring products when customers need them.
- Summer, 2018 – To better serve customers, we doubled the size of our Cascade showroom. Inventory and employees from our Plainfield location were merged with the existing Cascade showroom in order to expand the offerings at that location and offer even more products and optimal customer service.
“Throughout the years we have held true to tradition by moving forward with the legacy that our father began. We attribute our growth and success to God who has blessed us repeatedly, and to the hard working employees He’s sent to join the DeGraaf Interiors team.” – Deb and Dean DeGraaf
DeGraaf Interiors Today
Today, the DeGraaf Interiors professionals continue to help set the standard for providing dedicated assistance to individuals and families when they make important decisions about their living environments.
From knowledgeable salespeople who provide you with the latest ideas, trends and textures, to our trained installation specialists whose job it is to make every selection look beautiful in your home, the experienced DeGraaf Interiors team stands poised to lend our special expertise to your individual project. We’ll even vacuum your new carpet after installation to make your new flooring “guest-ready” as soon as possible.
Awards, Certifications & Community Involvement
DeGraaf Interiors prides itself in offering the best possible flooring and interior products to its customers, as well as being actively involved in the West Michigan community. Noteworthy achievements and involvement include:
- The only business in the state of Michigan that is a member of the National Flooring Alliance.
- A BBB Accredited business with A+ rating
- A member of the Grand Rapids area Chamber of Commerce, the Hudsonville Chamber of Commerce, Local First, and the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids.
- Featured in Grand Rapids Cosmopolitan Home magazine, the Grand Rapids Business Journal, the national publication Floor Covering Weekly, and Floorcovering News
- Frequently featured on local TV news stations including WZZM13 and Wood TV8, for their community involvement in flooring projects and more.
- One of the lead sponsors for Habitat for Humanity’s “Women Build” project.
- An active participant in the Grand Rapids Parade of Homes
Owner Deb DeGraaf currently serves on the Executive Board of Directors for the World Floor Covering Association as chairman elect, and has been featured in many local publications including West Michigan Woman magazine. She also currently holds a position on the board with the National Flooring Alliance.
Additionally, the Cascade location was the first Shaw Design center in West Michigan, and our Hudsonville location has earned the Mohawk ColorCenter Elite dealer of the year designation, allowing exclusive benefits for customers which other flooring stores are unable to offer.
Complete Design Assistance
Got an idea to brighten up a “tired” room? Need some suggestions to help give your home new life? Just bring your ideas and challenges to DeGraaf Interiors. From a single room to an entire home, we’ll help you explore types, textures and tints to find the perfect complement for your décor. Our designers can help even if you’re starting from scratch.
Stumped for ideas? Tell us your vision and we’ll do the rest.
Our designers can provide beautifully creative options for you based on your ideas, fabric, color swatches, or photos. Their knowledge of today’s wide range of casual, durable and elegant flooring choices make it easy to explore many “perfect” combinations of texture and color for your home. Call or stop by our showroom today and let us begin your tour of all the wonderful selections available for every style and type of flooring and countertop.
Already have a designer?
We have a designer program available specifically to cater to the design standards for your project. Contact us for more information.