Ceramic Tile – Before You Buy
Buying ceramic tile can be challenging, unless you know this.
Floor Tile Trims
- Bullnose. It has one rounded finished edge on the tile to give a nice finishing touch. Sometimes it is also used as a substitute for cove base.
- Corner Bullnose. It has two rounded finished edges on the tile to be used to complete a corner.
- Sanitary Cove Base. It has a rounded finished top like a bullnose to cover up the body of the tile and is used on the wall in lieu of wood baseboards.
Important tips on variation, texture, shading and color.
Many of today’s popular styles of ceramic tile are designed to look and feel like natural stone, emulating their rugged surface and color variations. It’s important that you understand these variations when designing with ceramic tile. These tiles are intended to show color and texture variations, just like natural stone. Since the composition of the tile’s glaze also varies, different tile styles will also exhibit different gloss levels.You should also be aware that solid color tiles provide a consistent look, however shade variation is inherent in all fired ceramic products and certain tiles will show greater variation within their dye lots. Shade variation is usually listed on the back label of each sample with a low, moderate, high or random rating. Here, to help you, are the definitions:
- Low. Consistent shade and texture
- Moderate. Moderate shade and texture variation
- High. High shade and texture variation
- Random. Very high shade and texture variation
The color of the body of the tile is determined by the color of the clay used by the manufacturer that is available in their geographic region. Look at the body of the tile to see if the color is red or white. The quality of the tile is more related to the quality of the manufacturer, not the color of the body. Color variations will also be present between manufacturers’ samples of the same color and throughout installed countertops, wall tile or ceramic floors. Color consistency is something you should understand and carefully consider when selecting ceramic tile. Our sales associate will be happy to review with you what to expect from different ceramic tiles.